Roasting a marshmallow sugar sand brown, patting it down with a chocolate bar and smooshing this wondrous goo into a graham cracker sandwich is classic cottage fun. But while there’s nothing wrong with stickin’ to tradition, there are as many ways to concoct this treat as there are stories to swap under the stars.
“Sometimes it doesn’t matter what you take away — it’s what you add,” says Kelsey Banfield (thenaptimechef.com). One of the top family cooking blogger’s favorites: “Frozen COOL WHIP is the perfect stand-in.”
Visit thekitchn.com to see how others stack up this campfire staple from “The Grasshopper” (chocolate graham + mint chocolate + marshmallow) to “The Elvis” (graham cracker + peanut butter cup + banana slices + marshmallow + bacon).
Take a new cue from cookingclassy.com (at right). Or, just see what comes out of hosting a s’mores buffet. (What happens at the cottage, stays at the cottage.)
Spice up traditional vanilla marshmallows and graham crackers with:
- Lemon curd (homemade or store-bought)
- Strawberries and cream cheese
- Fresh apple slices and cinnamon
- Nutella and dulce de leche
- Ghirardelli caramel or raspberry-filled chocolate squares
- Peanut butter or almond butter
- Chopped candy bars (especially Snickers or whole Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups)
- Fresh blueberries, raspberries and blackberries plus chocolate or white chocolate
- Brown sugar-roasted sweet potato slices
- Slices of fresh mango
- Brownie pieces
- Cheesecake pieces
- Raspberry jam and dark chocolate
- Slices of strawberry, banana, dark chocolate plus caramel sauce and pecans/almonds
- Toasted coconut with macadamia nuts and/or pineapple
- A pinch of orange zest over chocolate with chocolate grahams
- Roasted marshmallows between two peanut butter, chocolate chip or chocolate cookies.
Find more flavors to savor at cookingclassy.com.